Thursday

The Last Supper

In the world of the Church, the term Last Supper has a very specific meaning. For those of us who struggle with our weight, last supper is what we continually do in preparation for finally getting rid of the weight and conquering our foe forever. I can see a specific link between the Last Supper and the last suppers I have had over the years. Each is meant to be a kind of send off to a new life. Unfortunately, for me, last suppers have been my downfall. The thinking behind it is, eat everything I want, get it out of my system, and begin again tomorrow. But in my case, tomorrow very rarely gets here and the endless line of last suppers have exacerbated the problem.

But as I wrote here a week or so ago, I have enlisted the aid of the veteran of the Last Supper. I have formulated a plan of eating that is fairly lowcarb, but is flexible enough to keep me from feeling like a prisoner. I am not working out today. I didn't work out yesterday. Yesterday was not a good day for me. I am transitioning off some meds and that has wreaked havoc with my moods. Unfortunately this transition coincides with my most stressful week of the year. People who don't work in church ministry have no idea exactly how stressed things can get. You wouldn't expect it in an area where you are devoted to serving God and God's people. I have very few people around me who totally get what I do. The ones who do are amazingly supportive. The ones who don't make things very difficult. That is what I am battling this week - along with the aforementioned transitioning off of a presciption.

Today I need to get some cleaning done before I leave. When things are in order, it is easier to deal with the other chaos.

4 comments:

  1. New meds during Holy Week is sort of like trying to picnic in the middle of a freeway at Rush Hour. Don't sweat the lack of exercise- it is wise to let your body balance and deal with the demands of this week without pouring gasoline on the fire.

    Our plans for tonight before Holy Thursday services are lamb and going with the flow of the day- may your's be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Mary! I find that not many people 'get' what stresses us out. I think maybe stress if very personal. After all its what MATTERS to us is what is stressing us out. Ofcourse other peoples perspective on my 'stressful' situation has allowed me to reevaluate my situations and try to see them in a different perspective. Some times that has helped and sometimes not. Whatever my job happens to be at the time i KNOW i tend to take my job way too seriously and there for myself too seriously. I tend to be a perfectionist. Its either all or nothing. I work in a Garden Center watering thousands of plants. I've had so many people tell me they wished they had my job. And you know what? They have no idea the stress of trying to keep all those plants alive.
    Mary a week from now it will all be over and you will wonder what you were so stressed about.:) When the summers over and all the plants go away my job will be enjoyable again because the amount we carry will be more manageable. All we can do is the best we can do . And getting out there for a walk / run will allow you to better able handle the stress. You know it, i know it we just gotta make it happen. Jinx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sending you some virtual *hugs* and support. I know what it's like getting off of meds (or in my case, birth control) and dealing with the really dramatic mood swings relatd to those hormonal fluctations. That was me this week. So I send you some *sisterly empathy and understanding*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time. Easter is such a huge holiday for christians. I too use to be the worship leader at our church...so I know what you mean...but for the last few years I have not been involved with the music (new church) an oh how I miss it. Please try to find the good...i so miss being invloved....Blessings to you and yours, Dianntha

    ReplyDelete