Saturday

It's a numbers game

Afternoon update:
I'm late getting on here today. I got sidetracked by . . . work. I had a lot of music to sort through before an important rehearsal on Wednesday. Anyway, I went to the dr. yesterday (I actually see a nurse practitioner) and she was very pleased with my numbers. I told her I was doing Atkins and she didn't bat an eye. (Not that she should have but so many people have no idea what Atkins is that I was half expecting it.) Not only that, I had lost a few pounds since I last saw her less than 2 weeks ago. I don't have to up my medication - just stay at 1000 mg of metformin which makes me happy. I haven't felt deprived - in fact the reality of my situation eliminates all arguments with myself about what I will and will not eat. I was good to have the positive reinforcement. People who don't understand diabetes are under the impression that we do it to ourselves by eating sugar. That's not true. For me, eating sugar was the symptom of something going on. I did not do this to myself, but I am blessed to be empowered to be able to do something to control it. I have learned to give myself the positive reinforcement that I need because I can't expect it from others. There are some who readily give it, but there are others who don't and I am learning to live with that. People can't give what they don't have.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the progress ! Health is the number one reason we should be doing this in the first place. As to Atkins- It does work . Different body types have different requirements, and you have to do the method that works the best with all the particulars your own body is dealing with. Diabetes is actually an autoimmune disorder and not simply the result of bad habits. Diet does factor into bringing it to a manageable state, but it is a lot more complicated than just avoiding sugar !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear that you had such a good check up and don't have to up the metforman. It is true that lots of people don't understand diabetes, especially diabtes 2. They think everyone with diabetes has to take insulin shots, and can't ever eat anything with sugar again. Atkins is a great diabetic diet, especially after the first month or so.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete