Sunday

2009-05-31-Sunday Weigh-in

Today's weight: 228.2 Down 2.4 from last Sunday and a total of 11.8 since my all time high of 240 which I hit just before I was diagnosed. Not bad. The scale was actually up from the last 2 days, but that's why I always compare the weight from the previous week. We went to dinner at a friend's house last night. Tom is a fabulous cook and sets the most beautiful table. We ate later than I usually do so I'm sure the scale will be back down tomorrow. My daily pattern fluctuations are fascinating to watch. Dessert was one of the chocolate lava cakes topped with ice cream. I have to laugh because as I passed it by, Harold said, "you don't want any?" In the past I might have caved. But now I ask myself, "do you want that, or do you want more years of playing with your grandkids?" Grandkids win hands down! I probably could have had a small piece and been fine, but not having it is a lot easier than stopping once I start.

Using a blood glucose monitor has taught me a lot about what effect my food choices have. My levels didn't rise too much with last night's dinner, but a cup of sugarfree chocolate pudding yesterday afternoon sent it up 36 points in the second hour. I'm going to test that again tomorrow and if the result is the same, bye bye SF pudding. My PA has me checking my fasting blood sugar every other day and then on the alternate days I'm to check after a meal. I usually check after the first and second hours just to see what effect a particular food has. It is so helpful in formulating menus, and there is no room for arguing with myself - the numbers don't lie.

2 comments:

  1. OH Mary i'm so happy for you ! You are doing sooo good! 2.4 is a GREAT loss for a week.....ahhh i remember those days.....LOL!Now if i can pull that off for a month i'm happy.
    I completey agree with you that its easier to just walk away and have none than it is to have a taste and then stop. Some people can have a scoop of say icecream and be satisfied. I would not be satisfied until i consumed most of the carton. :) !!!! I hope you have another great week. I'll be posting a blog entry hopefully today because this morning i climbed on the scale for the first time since my vacation.........ooooOOOOOO..Jinx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so good. I know exactly what you mean that it's easier to just say no to something, than to quit once you've started eating it.

    ReplyDelete