Tuesday

Day 30: 100 Days Challenge-postpone Eating

Got up a little later today, but still got in 25 minutes on the treadmill. I'm ready to add some weight training.  I have osteopenia, so weight training is important.  I wanted to have the daily cardio firmly established before adding in the weights.  Tomorrow I can sleep a little later (but not too late because then I'm not as productive) and I think I am going to do one of my favorite Firm video - Total Sculpt plus abs.  I usually leave the abs part off, but I think I may do the entire video tomorrow.  I love the Firm videos because they incorporate weights and cardio.

I sent my registration and money in for the Maple Syrup 5k.  Go me!

I stopped at the grocery store tonight and picked up some produce.  I have been doing pretty well with limiting food to four meals a day, but I think I'm ready to start making some healthier choices.  My 3:00 pm meal is going to be yogurt.  I buy Dannon Light and Fit, but I add 1/8 cup of drained full fat yogurt to give it some staying power.  I am also adding a daily citrus fruit to breakfast.  I am still not forbidding any foods.  To do that is to give them too much power.

************************
Today's reading from "100 Days of Weight Loss" is called "Postpone Eating."  This is a technique you can use at parties or restaurants.  At parties you are advised to look around to see what food is there.  Have what you want, but delay eating it until toward the end of the party.  When we have a family gathering, there is always a lot of good food.  There are also a lot of tempting appetizers.  I can't count the times that I ate far to much of the appetizers and when it was time for dinner, nothing tasted good because I had already filled up on the snacks.  My plan is to just avoid the snack bar at the next family get together.

My husband and I love Mexican and Italian food.  At Mexican restaurants they always bring out the nachos and salsa.  At Italian restaurants its the Italian bread and herbed olive oil dip.  It's very easy to get caught up in those things and have no room (or appreciation) for the main course.  Ms. Spangle suggests having those nachos or bread - but as part of your meal; not as a "meal" before the meal.

From the "Beck Diet Solution" book, we are advised to stop fooling ourselves.  I would put it more strongly - stop lying to ourselves.  Stop making excuses for the unplanned eating.  When it comes to what we put in our mouths, the buck stops with us.  Other people may not be supportive, or may try to pressure us to eat when we shouldn't, but unless someone jabs an intravenous feeding tube into our arms and ties us down the decision to eat is ours. 

In the "Never Say Diet" book, I am at the chapter where Chantel Hobbs starts listing the five decisions she made that have guided her through her weight loss and beyond.  The first is "Make the decision to stop letting life pass you by."  We all know what that's about.  When I lose weight I will ______________.  In my younger years I was an avid runner.  I never entered a race because I was waiting until I was thin.  Ironically, when I look at pictures of myself from back then, I WAS thin - at least compared to now.   Three years ago I made a decision to enter a road race.  I signed up 3 months before planning to lose at least 30 pounds before the race.  I didn't lose the weight.  In fact, I think I may have gained some.  As the time of the race approached, I had pretty much talked myself out of entering.  I had quit training a month into the commitment.  But I thought about how I would feel if I didn't enter.  I had told several people I was going to do it.  I decided the pain of knowing I was a quitter would be worse than any embarrassment I might feel about my weight.  I ran that race.  I ran the entire 3 miles.  I was the last runner in followed by some ladies who were walking the course.  When I finished that 5K I felt like a million bucks.  I was so glad that I hadn't quit.

So, tomorrow starts the weight training, and from now on the cardio will be outside on the running route unless the weather forbids it.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Beck part of your post because it is sooo true. It one thing you can't blame on anyone else unless like you say they stick a feeding tube in you. When life is crazy its the ONE thing you can be in control over. Exercise the word "No". The more you say it the easier it gets. Whether your saying it to yourself or someone else. My biggest thing is i can't be wishy washy about it. NO is no and walk away. Like even before i walk into a restaurant i decide whether i'm eating an apetizer or dessert. That way i can't be swayed by the moment. Really loving your posts lady. Gives me alot to think about. I'm so glad you signed up for that run!I was gonna run the Green River Rat Race again this year but they changed the date and i work that weekend. !!&#@**!!. OH well. Be good! Jinx!

    ReplyDelete