Wednesday

Day 10: 100 days challenge - Appreciate good support

Diane, Ida, Deb(Jinx), I totally appreciate you!!!
There's not a lot to write about this chapter.  It's pretty much common sense and just plain manners.  We are advised to respond warmly when someone compliments us.  False modesty or self-deprecation can make the person complimenting us feel as if they being minimized.  That is something I had not really considered, although I do know the feeling of being dismissed when offering someone praise.  It felt to me as if the person was saying that the praise I offered meant nothing to them.  That may not have been the case, but it's how I felt.
**************************
Today's lesson from The Beck Diet Solution is about eating slowly and mindfully.
This is something I am guilty of - I often just stuff my mouth without even being aware.  This often happens when I am upset - like just a few minutes ago.  I don't know why it is that some people can make a really good day evaporate by just making a snotty or critical comment.  Not everyone has that effect on me.  The closer the person, the faster the joy disappears.  So I have a choice right now.  And I am choosing to have a pity party for 10 minutes and then I am shoving it out the door.  Refreshments will not be served at the pity party.


Now, back to eating slowly and mindfully.  This is a very powerful tool, but it's also one that I often forget.  It goes hand in hand with making sure that we are seated when we eat.  We eat deliberately and mindfully.  And we are less likely to forget that we ate.

2 comments:

  1. Compliments- when I lost 110 pounds and I would get complements I always felt really weird. It was like people suddenly thought that I was this mind with a body instead of just a mind and it totally puzzled me. I would thank them, but it made me wonder just HOW these people related to me in the old days . I found myself questioning a lot of things in regards to relationships as a result.I look forward to swimming in those waters again.

    Slow and mindful eating is important- it helps to avoid food amnesia and incredible bouts of gas ! When you eat fast you ingest more air, and that air has to come out somehow. Air in lungs- good thing. Air in stomach- not so good thing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweety do you know how much i appreciate you??? Your support and encouragement has been priceless! A year of just maintaining my weight has been incredibly difficult. Its like i'm doing all the right things......to stay right where i am.
    Its been fun to be able to talk to you about crafts and such. To see how far you've been able to take your craft business helps me to see my dream of that could come true.
    Learning how to take a compliment was very hard for me. And i was quick to put down anything nice someone had to say. Until i had a very wise person tell that all i had to do was give a little smile and say 'thank you'. Learning to accept compliment graciously was a HUGE jump in the right direction for me for my self esteem and subsequently my weightloss. So THANKYOU girlfriend for all your support! Give yourself a big HUG for me! JInx!

    ReplyDelete