Sunday

Day 28: 100 Days Challenge - Eating Because It's There

Weigh-in day.  I am down 1.6 for a total of  5.4 pounds.  Only 94.6 more to go!!
I got on the treadmill a little later than I wanted today so I only got in 20 minutes, but I made those 20 minutes count..  Yesterday I did some running intervals and I really felt it this morning.  I am tickled that I did not "diet" this week, but still lost 1.6 pounds.

Today is the last day of February.  I have been doing this for one calendar month!  So far my habits are.

1. Working out every day - no excuses
2. Limiting my eating to 4 times a day

Last night I ran into one of the teachers at our parish school.  The one and only race I have ever run is the Maple Syrup 5K three years ago.  Sally also ran in that race.  I told her I was planning to do it again this year.  There, I committed myself.  But I had also already contacted the race director for an application.  Melisa (daughter number 2) is also planning to do that race.  We won't be running it together because I am sure she will leave me in the dust within the first 10 seconds.  This year I am taking my walkman and headphones.  And while I am running that race I will be thinking of my friend Deb(Jinx) and knowing that she is giving me a long distance "thumbs up!"

*********************
Today's reading from "100 Days of Weight Loss" is about mindless eating.  Eating because it's there.  I have really made some progress here.  I have found myself finishing up something just to finish, and stopping myself right then and there.  Because I have limited my meals to four and nothing in between, mindless eating isn't much of a problem for me.  If it is for you, the author recommends practicing that "resistance" muscle by learning to ignore food - things like hors deuvres  or food samples at grocery stores - tasting while cooking, that kind of thing.  She recommends using this phrase often,  "I don't eat food just because it's there."

In the "Beck Diet Solution" book, Dr. Beck talks about ending overeating.  Quitting when you are full - not overfull, not stuffed, but pleasantly full.  I have discovered that this is a pleasant feeling.  I am going make a special effort to pay attention to that this week.  I also want to do a better job of remembering to savor each bite.  Several times I found myself not paying attention and ended up eating more than I needed.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations !!!!! Nice, safe, healthy loss !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the loss! Yippee! You bet i'm giving you two thumbs up! A whole month! I'm so proud of and happy for you. I TOLD you you'd find your way. I love all the reading your doing and thoughtfully figuring it out as you go a long. Its a process, its a journey. And i think your doing fabulous!

    Mindless eating.....i don't do much of that anymore except on days i give myself permission to do that. But then its not really mindless is it? I allow myself three meals aday and one morning snack around 100 cal and one afternoon snack of 100 cal. I'm sure those snack are what keeping my weight from going done any further but i've grown fairly fond of them and not willing to let them go ...yet.... LOL! Have an awesome day girl. Make good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on entering the race !!!

    On store samples- that is one thing I have found myself doing lately. It used to be that store samples were there for the taking- no need to count them or worry about them. Over the last few months I see them and say "Geeze, I know what cheese tastes like so why bother". Or other such things. I have started to mention this out loud to the guys, and they too have stopped indulging in free samples. Unless it is something really exceptional and we are actually considering buying it. I have always felt guilty sampling things I had no intention of buying .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ladies,

    Diane, I know what you mean about store samples. Often I will walk by and deliberately not make eye contact with the sample lady. LOL!

    Deb, I hear you on the snacks. It's true, you might lose faster without them, but then again, without those little treats, you may have jumped ship long ago. It's all about what works for us.

    ReplyDelete