Wednesday

Day 16 - 100 days challenge - Nurturing power of food

I didn't post yesterday - completely forgot.

Today's reading from 100 Days of Weight Loss talks about the nurturing power of food.  I learned about that at an early age.  My mother died when I was a child and it was food that saw me through the tough years that followed.  I can't remember a time when I didn't use food to soothe the hurts in my life, to celebrate the joys in my life, to block out the worry in my life.  When food is used in this way, it makes the business of losing weight all the harder.  When recognition from other people isn't there - food is.   When we feel as if no one cares, food can mask the hurt . . . for a while.  I would venture to say that, barring some physical reason, emotional eating is the basis for most obesity.  It's easy to blame our parents or other people, but the ultimate responsibility for our condition lies with us.

The Beck Diet solution continues on with the business of setting up an exercise program, but that was already in place before I opened the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment