Tuesday

Day 23: 100 Days Challenge - Savoring

Back in the groove today.  I got up and got that treadmill time in early.  Felt really good!
Oddly enough, my morning was much more productive - go figure.  Madison is getting into a kind of routine here so I'm able to plan my day and get things done.  If the temp is up tomorrow, I think I'll go outside again.  Outside is my favorite workout.

No Biggest Loser again tonight.  Grrrrrr. 

I didn't do my lesson reading on the treadmill today.  I'm reading a third book that I really, really like!  I bought it a while ago with a lot of other books and never got into it.  It's titled Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs.  She has lost over 200 pounds and I love her no-nonsense, no excuses approach to weight loss.  In fact, weight loss was a by product of her quest to be healthy.  I will go into more detail as time goes on.

Last night's Hoarders episode was enlightening.  One of the hoarders kept things because of the memories that were attached to them.  There is that link between hoarding things and hoarding pounds again.  What is the payoff for hoarding either one (and there is a payoff or we wouldn't hang onto them) and making ourselves miserable?  There was a little boy who cried because they threw away a broken plate that had belonged to Grandma.  He said he felt like they were throwing Grandma away.  Been there!  And with weight?  Are we afraid that we are throwing pieces of ourselves away when we lose weight?  That we're losing ourselves?

I have a meeting so I'll be back later to update today's lessons.
*******************
I'm back from the meeting - reminding myself that I don't need to eat.

Today's reading from 100 Days of Weight Loss is about savoring your food.  In this exercise, the author recommends taking 1/4 tsp size bites of your food and really savoring the taste and texture.  When you are this aware of what you are eating, you are usually satisfied with less because you have received maximum pleasure from each bite. 

In the Beck Diet Solution book we begin our diet.  I'm a day ahead there.  We are to write up a food plan and then stick with it.  I am not there yet.

In fact, I have altered my rules for this 21 days.  No one but a compulsive eater would understand that confining my eating to 4 meals a day is more than a baby step for me.  I was trying to take to big a chunk.  I am not counting my calories so I am probably going over my allotment, but I am going to take that restriction off and concentrate on the four meals for now.  I have learned my lesson about moving too fast and burning out within the month.  So in addition to my exercise habit, I am now creating the habit of limiting my eating to four meals a day.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a wise baby step.I think the discipline is something our bodies understand and respond to faster and more effectively than the content of the numbers.Once the discipline is down ( it becomes a habit) , then we can easily make it better.

    I think Chantel Hobbs was one of the guests on a previous Dr Oz Show, and she made some black bean Brownies on the show from scratch. These were really good - and if it is the same woman it seems she also became a Weight Watchers group leader and went on to a wide circle of weight loss help. I have not read her book but if she is the same woman that would not be surprising !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane (look, I can post a comment!) I don't think Chantel is the same woman because in the beginning of her book she talks about plans like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. I'm not far enough into the book to be sure, but I think I saw the Oz episode with the Black Bean brownie lady.

    ReplyDelete