Wednesday

Day 17 - 100 Days Challenge - Stop Wasting Food

No diet book is complete without a chapter on how our mothers made us clean our plates in deference to the starving children in India, China, Armenia, Italy . . .
We all know, we knew it then, that cleaning our plates does not feed one hungry child.  I think the message was supposed to be "be grateful for what you have because others are not so blessed."   Unfortunately, our childish minds skewed the message.  Today's reading from "100 Days of Weight Loss" explores the meaning of waste.  It seems so common sense that many of us miss it.  You can waste food by throwing it in the garbage can, or you can waste food by treating yourself like a garbage can.  Puts it in perspective, don't you think?

The Beck Diet Solution talks today about differentiating hunger from craving or just plain boredom.  For me, hunger is fairly easy to identify because my blood sugar drops and I get the clammy shakes.  The challenge for me is that when this hits, I HAVE TO EAT and NOW.  If I let myself get to that point, it's too late because I start shoveling in food just to get my blood sugar up.  I don't enjoy it then, so I go back later for the "entertainment" value.  I don't have a choice but to schedule meals at certain times.  For me, that takes the guesswork out of it, but, I often eat at times when there is no meal or snack planned.  That's entertainment or emotional eating.  I have a feeling that if I could conquer that, I would be home free.

No comments:

Post a Comment