Tuesday

Day 2: 100 days challenge - Interested or Committed?

Just heard on the radio that the groundhog saw his shadow.  That means 6 more weeks of winter.  To my way of thinking if winter only lasts 6 more weeks, that WILL be an early spring.

Anyway, I got my workout in this morning.  It was only 20 minutes this morning because I putzed around to much.

Today's Lesson from "100 Days of Weight Loss":

1. Decide that you will always be committed to you weight-loss plan, not just interested.
This may have been one of my problems.  Maybe I've always been interested and not committed.  Commitment means you do what needs to be done, even when it's not what you really want to be doing.

2. In your notebook, describe how you will stick with your program, no matter what.
It is my habit, and not a good one, to find excuses not to do something.  If it's inconvenient or not fun, I can always find a reason to avoid doing something.  The strange thing is that once I'm on the treadmill or out the door, I almost always enjoy the workout.  I think transitions are hard for me.  In fact, I know that transitions are a problem for me.  I'm not sure why.  It's something I should probably think about.
 
3. Do at least one thing today that demonstrates that you are truly committed.  For example, take a walk or eat your vegetables - no matter what.
Today I got up at 6:00 again so that I could get my workout in before the kids got here.  I actually like to get up early - well, I don't really enjoy the getting up part, but once I'm up, I am much more productive than if I sleep in.

Yesterday I didn't get in as much water as I would have liked, but all in all, it was a good day.  I did some decluttering in the laundry room.  I mention that here because I suspect that I hang onto stuff for the same reason I hang on to excess weight.  It's not that I can't lose weight, it's that I don't let myself.  It's almost like I think I will be losing an important part of myself.  It dawned on me that this is exactly the same thought process I have when I am trying to get rid of stuff.  In both cases I think it would help if I could focus on how freeing it would be to clear the stuff and the weight out of my life. Instead of thinking of the weight and the clutter as insulation against bad things, I would be better served to think of those things as barriers to being the kind of person I want to be.  How many of us put on weight to keep others at bay.  I know my last significant weight gain came when a man at church said something VERY inappropriate to me.  I think subconsciously I packed on the weight to keep things like that from happening.  But I have to consider what is more damaging to me - having to put someone in his place or having to deal with the humiliation of excess weight day after day.  Something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts on this 100 day challenge have been very interesting reading. I think your working through a lot of stuff that needs to be worked thru and by reading your posts they make me think too. Thanks! Can't wait to see what Day 3 brings! JInx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you have described the negative in me to at 'T'!

    ReplyDelete