Saturday

Day 27: 100 Days Challenge - Eat Dessert When It's Special

Just got off the treadmill.  I really wish I could bottle up the feeling of accomplishment and spray it around when I'm tempted to skip the workout.  More and more, I am loving the Never Say Diet book.  Have you ever read something and thought "I could have written that?"  The other day Chantel was talking about what it was like to grow up fat.  When I was a kid, weight really wasn't much of an issue.  I was hyperactive and my poor mother was sick.  Our neighbor (my mother's best friend) had a sister who owned a dance studio.  One day a week I spent the day at the dance studio.  I took tap, ballet, acrobatics, and baton twirling.  It gave my mother a badly needed break once a week, and at one dollar for the day, it was a bargain.  I can remember that as recital times drew near, my mother would encourage me to ride my bike so that my little pot belly wouldn't be so prominent under my costumes.  Weight wasn't really a problem because I was so active, but even back then I had the seeds of compulsive eating lying under the soil.  As the years went by, my mother became sicker and sicker.  They had no diagnosis at the time and even if they had, they didn't have the technology or the drugs to treat it.  In typical oldest child fashion, I took my mother's sickness as a sign of my failings.  Children are powerless over things like that and the only control I had was what went into my mouth.

When I was twelve, my mother died.  I was the caretaker of my two brothers and baby sister after school and on Saturdays.  I was not nearly as active as I had been, and the eating accellerated.  It was the worst time in my life to be overeating and not moving.  My weight began to inch up but I still wasn't that concerned.  We had bigger problems in our house with my dad trying to keep everything together and be both mom and dad.

Within a year my dad re-married.  Our new stepmother was a registered nurse.  She was also taking Bishop Sewing Classes and was very good at sewing.  I can remember as a teenager, she was measuring me for a dress I needed for something - can't remember what - and one of my aunts on my dad's side was visiting.  As Mom was measuring me, my aunt said, "be sure to add extra inches for her big butt."  Mom and I were embarrassed and didn't say anything.  I think we were shocked that someone could be so incredibly rude, and - yes- cruel.  When we didn't answer, she repeated it.  I can't remember what my mom said, but I can remember in great detail how I felt.  I can't imagine what was going through my aunt's mind saying something like that.  I'll bet she forgot it long ago, and yet the memory remains with me.

***********************
Today's topic from "100 Days of Weight Loss" is about eating dessert when it's special.  Special would mean not only that the dessert is tasteworthy, but that it is eaten at a special occasion and with people you love.  When I think about this, I think of the times I swayed from my "diet" and how I had the mindset that one dessert would ruin it.  And when I succumbed to that dessert, where was I?  Usually at a family gathering for one of the holidays.  And not only did I eat the dessert, but I very likely went on to eat to oblivion, long after the food even tasted good because, after all, I had already blown it.  In this 21 day habit cycle, I have allowed myself anything I want to eat, and I have found that the stuff I usually crave just isn't all that appealing anymore.  It's beginning to lose its power.

The "Beck Diet Solution" is about preventing unplanned eating.  At this stage of the game the only "planning" I'm doing is the spacing of my four meals.  I'm not sure I will ever get to the point where I am writing everything down and counting every calorie.  My jaws clench just thinking about it.  I am getting used to the four meals and once I have done that for 21 days, then I will think about the next habit.

4 comments:

  1. I think different times people who make comments like that do so because they honestly believe that they can shame a person into a state of what they believe to be perfection. It comes from a place of misunderstanding the real nature of the problem.The comments are extremely hurtful ( and being overweight my entire life I have definitely heard more than my share of them), and it is a very human response to hang onto them and shape our behaviors to be a response to these kinds of comments. Truth is that we cannot change the past- we cannot go back and make them eat their words. The only thing we have control of is the now and the best way to do this is to simply let go of the past. They honestly meant for things to inspire us for good, but it was flawed in the presentation. ) On the other hand, previous hurtful experiences should always serve as a lesson for us to monitor our own words when we deal with others who are battling their own issues. At least that is how I seem to view things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I had a similar experience once and when trying to overcome the hurt brought it up to my mother. She had no recollection of the event yet it still hurts to this day, 15 years later. Sometimes it's harder to forgive when it's so hard to forget. Wouldn't it be nice if we were like Jesus in the sense that when He forgives our sins and covers them with His blood they are forgotten? If we could forgive those that trespass against us and have the hurt and memories covered up, never remembered, cast as far as the east is to the west? Would truely be easier to forgive, in my own opinion. Good job on your progress so far! Even if you don't see it in big numbers on the scale, you are digging to the root of where the problems began. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous poster, I'm sure your mother loves you very much. In fact, I would bet my life on it. I wonder if you have any good memories, because I'm sure she doubts herself a lot and wonders if her kids will remember her fondly in years to come. I know that I have many regrets and I'm betting that your mom does too. I'm sure that she knows she can't change the past and does her best to do better now. I doubt very much that your mother meant to hurt you and I'm sure she wishes she could go back and undo the harm she caused.

    In the case of my aunt, the remark was intended to hurt and she repeated it to make sure. The above incident was not an isolated one. My aunt didn't like me and never missed an opportunity to show it.

    ReplyDelete