Monday

Day 8: 100 days challenge - Help me please . . .

I got on the treadmill at about 7:15. When I got up, I felt like something the cat dragged in.  I didn't sleep well because of this cough that I have.  I subscribe to a website called "Meditations for Weight Loss." When I logged on this morning, I found a weight loss meditation in my inbox.  It was about not putting off what we need to do.  I laughed when I read this part.  " Don't wait until Monday.  Don't wait until your cough is gone. Start now."
 In the past I might have waited until this cough was gone. My lungs were aching but instead of ditching the workout, I backed the incline down a bit and did it anyway.  It's all about consistancy.  



************************
Today's Focus from the 100 Days of Weight Loss is Help Me Please . . .
This chapter deals with telling others what we do and don't need from them regarding weight loss.

For instance I don't need . . .
1. someone telling me, "You haven't done it before what makes you think you'll do it now?" 
2. someone eyeballing my every bite and questioning whether I'm supposed to have it.
3. pushing food on me when I have already said no.
4. someone telling me about the diet I SHOULD be on.

I do need . . .
1. support and encouragement.
2. a pat on the back when I've done well  (Thank you Ida, Jinx, and Diane - you ladies are very good at that.)
3. people to understand that I am doing what I need to do.
4. people to understand that this isn't about vanity any more.

It's strange how weight issues are connected to other things in our lives.  On Monday nights I watch a show called Hoarders.  It dawned on me that many of these people are overweight.  I know that the state of my house and the state of my mind are directly connected.  That is not true of all people, but it is definitely true of me.  When the house is in chaos, most likely my life is in chaos too.  At the moment I am attacking the house chunk by chunk.  A visitor might see a mess, but I see daily small improvements.  The same is true for weight loss.  You may not see the number on the scale going down, but chunk by chunk I am making changes that will eventually get me where I want to go.
************************************
Today's Lesson from 100 Days of  Weight Loss
1. In your journal, wirte a list of things that people are always welcome to say or do in regard to your weight-loss efforts.  

2. Create another list of things you don't ever want people to do, such as: snatch your plate away, give you lectures, or admonish, "You're not supposed to be eating that."
The exception here would be family members who know about my blood sugar issues and are genuinely concerned about my health - and by family members I mean kids and spouse - no one else.
3. Read both lists to your support people including your spouse, your children, and your best friend.
This I probably won't do, because those people know what they can and cannot get away with, already.
******************************************************
Today's lesson from The Beck Diet Solution is about choosing an eating plan. 
 We are advised to begin thinking about what our eating plan will be - structured or flexible.
I know that I do better with a flexible plan because of my "all or nothing" perfectionist thinking.  (Hmm, that applies to housework as well.)  I know that I will be following a plan that is built around the glycemic load because of my blood sugar issues.  I used to love Atkins.  I think Atkins is a very sound plan and works vry well for those who follow it.  Because my blood sugar tends to fall to low on that plan, I can't do the ongoing weight loss phase of Atkins, however the maintenance plan, which South Beach, Sugar Busters and other are very much like, is one that could work for me.  I have some time to think about it yet.  I really need to prepare mentally because I can already hear my inner brat groaning. 
Once I accept the fact that I have to follow a healthy eating plan for life, dieting will be easier!  (in fact it will no longer be dieting - it will be a way of life.) My preparations will be to formulate of list of foods that will be staples - foods I like around which my plan will be built

1 comment:

  1. It seems for some people weight loss and clutter are indeed two things that go hand in hand. Not for all, but for some and it can be a struggle to overcome both. One person who may be VERY helpful in overcoming both of these is someone called The FLY Lady ( fly means finally loving yourself) She has an email loop through Yahoo groups, is on Facebook and has written a few books now. People either love her or hate her, but she has overcome both clutter and health issues with her method of starting with a shiny sink, 10 minute declutter sessions , 21 fling boogies and more. You might find her an inspirational tool. I was using her for years when Nick was younger, but it seems I am one of those naturally organized people , and the reminders got to be a problem for me.

    Like you, I am focusing on my way as being a way of life - not just for weight loss. It can make the whole thing a lot less stressful ! A well stocked larder with the foods that fit your goals rather than a list of strict "you must eat this food " or " yo0u can NEVER eat this food"

    ReplyDelete