Saturday

Day 6: 100 days challenge - Protect your program

Well today started off slow.  I allowed myself to sleep in because I didn't have kids coming over. I planned to do a fun Wii Fit Plus workout, but first I couldn't get my remote to sync.  Fixed that, but then the battery died on my Wii Fit board and I can't find the recharger that Nina and Jamie got me for Christmas.  The whole time, my inner brat was chanting, "skip it for today, skip it for today, it's getting late, skip it for today."  I successfully ignored her and headed for the treadmill.

Today's focus from "100 Days" is Protect Your Program.
Some days it doesn't take much to convince us to veer off course.  There are 2 particular times for me that are slippery slopes.  One is at night and the other is at large family get-togethers.  In the first instance I am the culprit.  In the second I am usually the culprit but at times others exert their influence.  I have not officially started the food aspect of this program yet because I want my exercise habit firmly in place.  But I am trying to avoid eating at night.  I am gradually instituting a nightly cup of tea habit.  I'm not a huge fan of tea, but at night it's nice to have a cup.  I am using that time to remind myself of the success I am having at getting up and doing my workout.  I am gradually using up items that I plan to discontinue buying.  I have decided to quit buying store bought cookies.  If we have cookies in the house, they will be baked here.  I can shovel down 10 oreos and not get as much enjoyment as I do from one home-baked cookie.  When I bake cookies there is a whole "experience" that goes along with it that feeds the soul.  I can stop at one home baked cookie.  The same goes for home baked bread.

The other issue is family gatherings.  As I said, I usually manage to sabotage myself, but sometimes there are other people involved.  I can remember one instance at just such a get-together when a family member urged me to have a piece of pie. I can normally take or leave pie so this wasn't a big deal.  I said I didn't care for any at the moment, maybe later. About 10 minutes later the family member approached me again and insisted that I take some because there might not be any left.  I again said maybe later.  Another 10 minutes and she was at my elbow again.  I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but I was getting ticked off.  I took a piece of pie, waited until she left the room and then left it on the table.  Someone else eventually ate it.  For some people food is love and when you refuse their food, you are rejecting them.  I think that may have been the sub plot that was unfolding.  I don't know.  One thing I do know is that I am not responsible for someone else's emotional well-being.  Well, I am in the sense that I am not going to mindlessly hurt people, but I am also not going hurt myself in the process.

The reason I bring up this incident is because the book suggests saying "not just yet. . ."  That doesn't always work if a food pusher has an agenda.  What I need to do before such events is have a talk with myself and establish the ground rules.  I may have something off plan, but I will decide in advance what that will be and I will stick to it.  It has helped me to tell myself that I will divide my plate into quarters.  1/4 will be veggies, 1/4 will be meat or protein, 1/4 will be bread or something similar, and the other 1/4 will be something I don't normally allow myself.    At family get-togethers, Bette and I have a tradition of clearing up and washing dishes. I usually only see Bette two or three times a year so we spend the time visiting or singing.  It's fun.  It also helps take some of the load off of Judy who usually hosts these gatherings.  As soon as Bette and I are finished eating, we discreetly begin the cleaning process.  This gets us both out of eating mode and keeps us from vegging out the rest of the day.  Having something concrete to do after dinner sets a limit to the eating and gets us away from the food.

This chapter also advises that you don't discuss your "diet."  I have found this to be great advice.  When I was on Atkins and other people found out about it, they all had something to day - mostly negative.  I heard it all from "you'll ruin your kidneys" to "you know Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack, don't you?"  (Actually he did not die of a heart attack.  His death had nothing to do with his diet.  But I digress.) I felt like I had to constantly defend my food choices and it got old really fast.  I eventually just said, I'm eating less and moving more.  That usually shuts them up.  Others, who were really looking for answers, I spent more time with.  So there are some people I will talk to and others I will just mollify with the diet and exercise answer.
The book suggests a kind of mantra ( I don't really like that word, but I can't think of another way to put it), "I must protect my program at all costs."  Overeaters Anonymous has a phrase that is much the same.  "I do not eat, no matter what."   It doesn't matter what phrase you use, the important thing is that you have something that you can have running through your head to squelch the negative voices that seek to derail you.

Today's Lesson from 100 Days of  Weight Loss
1. Watch for chances to repond to food invitations by using the line, "Not just yet; I'm going to wait a little while."
I find that when thin people say this, they are usually left alone.  This technique doesn't always work for me, but if it does for you, definitely use it.


2. Identify at least three high-risk times or events in your notebook and write down how you'll protect your program during each of these.
In addition to the two times that I mentioned above, I also eat if I feel stressed or worried.  It's almost as if I am telling myself that I don't deserve to be healthy if my kids are struggling or if my friends are hurting. I also feel the urge to eat in order to procrastinate. I have a set response to this.  I have written it down and I look at it when I am tempted to use food as a tranquilizer.  This card contains the phrase:  "Eating will only created another problem."  Then I have a list of 15 minutes activities to choose from.  Usually, completing one of those activities makes me feel better than food would have.

3. Do at least one thing today that reinforces your determination to protect your program at all costs. 

**************************************
Today's lesson from The Beck Diet Solution
Record the Advantage of Losing Weight
On a 3x5 index card write out the advantages losing weight.  You may think that you could never forget why you want to lose weight, but when you are face-to-face with temptation, all of those reasons fly right out of your head.  I have found it helpful to excuse myself from the situation and head for the ladies room.  I pull out my index card and give myself a pep talk.  It usually works.


Take a moment to think about how weight loss will impact the following areas in your life.
1.  Your love life, friendships, family, career, and social life. 
2.  Your energy level and participation in hobbies and recreational activities.
3.  Your body, health, self-image, and mental outlook.

Be specific in your answers.  Example:  Family: My energy level will increase and I won't tire as quickly when playing with the grandkids.   Hobbies:  I'll have more time and energy to do the things that give me joy.
Just as gaining weight and feeling bad have a momentum, so does gaining control of your life and experiencing small victories along the way. 

Extra advantages:
1. Your cravings will diminish
2. You won't struggle over whether or not to eat something you shouldn't
3. You'll feel good when you resist unplanned eating
4. You won't feel guilty and demoralized because you gave in to cravings


(Just to clarify, when I use colored text, these are not my own words but are quoted from whichever book I am discussing.)



1 comment:

  1. I would totally agree with the idea of protecting your program ! It seems no matter what approach you try, the minute you talk about it there are several critics . Truth is no one approach works for every single person on the planet, and we have to allow ourselves to be sensitive enough to our own bodies to eventually learn which approach is right for us. In this case, silence is golden !

    I am enjoying your entries on the two books. I may not always have something to contribute about them but they are giving me mental nourishment to chew on !

    ReplyDelete