Tuesday

Day 9: 100 days challenge - Here's what I want

This morning when my alarm went off, I did not want to get up.  I awoke several times last night with coughing fits and just generally did not sleep well.  I argued with myself, but knew the whole time that I would be getting up.  I got on the treadmill at about 7:45 and went about 20 minutes.  My lungs still hurt, and with not much exertion.  If this thing isn't any better by Friday, I'm going in again.  I didn't cough a whole lot today so maybe this thing is winding down.  Anyway, I did my twenty minutes.  The food end of things is not good.  I am stress eating and that has to change.  I hadn't planned to implement the food plan until I'd been working out for 3 week solid.  What I am going to do is limit meals to 3 with one snack if needed and nothing in between unless there is a blood sugar issue.

************************
Today's Focus from the 100 Days of Weight Loss is Here's what I want
In this section we are advised to be very specific about telling people exactly what we need from them.  This one I don't really agree with.  My plan may be a major part of my life, but it isn't for others.  The people that care about me - I'll know where they're coming from.  The people that don't - let's face it, why give them ammo.  Today's reading from this book was not very helpful for me.

*********************
Today's lesson from The Beck Diet Solution is about making sure we are sitting down when we eat. 
Now sitting down to eat is not a huge problem for me because I most always sit down when I eat - at the computer, in front of the TV - you get the picture.  No, we are to eat at the table - like civilized human beings.  There is some really great thinking behind this that I hadn't considered.  When eating, the visual is as important as the actual eating.  Beck says that seeing the food spread out in front of you makes you more aware of what you are eating, and it is more satisfying because more than one sense is involved.  When I was working at the school, I ate sitting down, but since I didn't get a lunch hour I was pretty much on call. I was entitled to 2 fifteen minute breaks, but where I worked that never really materialized.  Someone always needs something in a computer lab. I can't remember one time that I ever took more than two bites without having to jump up.  The good thing was, I didn't try to eat other than at lunch.  The bad thing was, I never really felt like I had eaten so when I got home, everything was fair game. Now that I'm down to one job, I am around home most days.  Some days there are kids here, other days not - it all depends on what's going on in my kids' lives.  So . .  my days do not have a set structure, except for the first hour in the morning when I have decided that the workout is non-negotiable.  That's why I was able to get my tush out of bed this morning!  

What I need to do is make a structured - not rigid - but structured food plan.  For now the structure will be breakfast, dinner, supper and a snack. (We are farmers, our big meal-dinner-is at noon.) In the next couple of weeks I will be planning a perpetual shopping list (thank you Flylady) of staples to keep around.  The next step will be to generalize some menus.  I have control of breakfast, lunch, and snack most days.  Supper we usually fend for ourselves.  It will be the times we go out to eat that I will have to plan for, but eating out is not usually a problem for me.  My biggest adjustment will be adhering to those 4 set times to eat..  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on your thoughts today on the 100 day weight loss ! That kind of strategy strikes me as "I am on a diet so the whole world has to behave!" kind of thinking. People do things for many reasons, and all of them are valid to the person doing them. When we demand behaviors of others it kind of invalidates them as people for one thing. And lets face it- we are the ones who actually put the food in our mouth, move our bodies and so forth. We cannot control others- we can only control ourselves.
    With the sitting down suggestion in the Beck book, I don't thing the actual posture of sitting is the goal, but rather eating in a mindful manner. When we double task ( eat and watch TV, work on the computer and so forth), we miss the full impact that the sight and taste and smell that our food is meant to have because we get distracted. These sensory factors also help us to feel satiated, and can help us avoid overeating. Good advice !

    ReplyDelete